• Tablecloths - Sheets make great tablecloths. Seriously! They are the perfect size for long tables and this one was $4 at Wal-mart. Just make sure to get flat (not fitted sheets).
• Keep it Simple - Make a list of your hopes and dreams. Then, be realistic about time & finances and par down as necessary. For me that meant not buying the bag of 100 plastic balls to throw all over the lawn (seriously what would I do with them afterward?). Fun idea though. Also, I had no time to make silly mustaches on sticks. Bummer.
• Cupcakes - Don't fill cupcakes all the way to the top. It doesn't make them more fluffy on top. They just spill all over the oven.
• Arranging Furniture - Think through your space. Maybe even set up chairs and tables during a practice run. I was arranging and re-arranging right before the party.
• RSVP - Put an RSVP on the invite. Then you have a better idea of how many guests to plan for.
• Plan Way Ahead - Try to get every possible thing that you can do early done at least 1 hour before the party. That way you can spend the last hour making sure everyone is happy and ready for early guests.
• Enjoy Yourself - Don't plan too many activities, ask for help, relax, eat, take pictures... Hosting parties can be stressful sometimes but it is important to enjoy yourself too!
I know some of you are amazing party planners. Do you have any tips for us newbies?