Thursday, September 30, 2010

Nothing to Eat?

Please forgive my out of focus pictures. I thought you might want a few of my favorite recipes for those days when there is "nothing to eat". With 10 kids my mom is well-known for making something out of "nothing". I'm still working on that skill. So if you have any great recipes that mostly call for ingredients you usually have on hand, please leave a comment with a link.

Cilantro Lime Chicken
From: Mandi (she is famous for this one)

4-8 frozen chicken breasts or tenders
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 10-oz can of green chili enchilada sauce
1 cup sour cream
fresh, chopped cilantro
lime juice (about 2 tbsp)
rice

Put chicken topped with soup and enchilada sauce in crock-pot. Cook on low 8-9 hours. Add sour cream to crock-pot. Cook rice in a separate pan according to directions. Add lime juice to crock-pot right before serving. Garnish with cilantro.

My variations: I use fresh, not frozen chicken and cook on high for about 5 hours. I add my lime juice right on top of my plate instead of mixing it in. We don't add sour cream.

Italian Vegetable Soup
From: Taste of Home via Jenn

2 cans chicken or vegetable broth
1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 celery rib, chopped
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup small shell pasta, cooked & drained
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained

In large saucepan, combine all except the pasta & diced tomatoes. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add the pasta and tomatoes; heat through. Discard bay leaf.

My variations: I add cooked, cubed chicken. I don't peel my potato. I don't use the bay leaf (I just don't have any). This awesome thing about this one is you can leave off what you don't have and add what you do. My mom made some with beef broth and cubes of beef. Sometimes I add other vegetables.

Make something yummy!

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorites at the moment is Annie!

    http://annies-eats.com/

    Every single thing I've tried is fantastic! And they're usually pretty on-hand ingredients.

    ReplyDelete

Yay, You Made a Comment!