Thursday, August 4, 2011

Apricot Pie & Freezer Jam

There are a few things that really scare me about cooking... pie, jam (really anything canned), bread... Don't ask why. I watched my mom do all of these things growing up but for some reason they seem too complicated for me.

Well I am starting to overcome my fears! A kind neighbor showed up at our door with a big box of apricots last week. I wasn't home to say, "oh thanks. We'll take a few. We have a small family". So, rather than see them go to waste, I looked up recipes on the internet.

First I made this apricot freezer jam. It was easy! No cooking or anything. Just cut, mix it together, pour it in containers, let it sit for a day, and into the freezer.
Next I made this pie. This is probably my first real pie. Oh, sure I've made pies with pre-made graham cracker crust and pudding. The only really tricky part was getting the crust rolled and placed just right. I used this recipe for the filling and my mother-in-law's crust recipe...

PIE CRUST

2 1/2 c. flour
1 c. shortening
1 egg
1/4 c. cold water
1 Tbsp. vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt

Cut shortening into flour. Beat the egg and add to mixture. Add remaining three ingredients. From here follow the directions from the filling recipe.

Go ahead, conquer your fears (or at least try a new recipe)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yay, You Made a Comment!