Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Egg-free Diet

Due to our 2-year-old's allergies, I am trying to create a mostly egg-free diet for our family. It's just too sad to eat delicious baked goods in front of him!

In case any of you are in the same boat, I thought I'd share a few helpful resources...

Image from here
1. About.com - This is the first resource I found. It is nice to get a quick overview.

Image from here
2. Gelatin - My pal Mandi is looking out for me and sent me this information on using gelatin:

"Eggs from unflavored gelatin (Knox). The gelatin is less expensive than powdered eggs (as little as 3 cents per 'egg') has an indefinite shelf life and works well in all the recipes I've tried. I used unflavored gelatin that was over 20 years old and it worked perfectly.

1 tsp gelatin = 1 egg
1 oz gelatin = 12 eggs
1 pound gelatin = 192 eggs

Making one egg: Combine 1 teaspoon of unflavored gelatin with 3 Tablespoons of cold water and stir until dissolved. Then add 2 Tablespoons plus one Teaspoon hot water and stir. When using your own recipes, decrease the liquid called for in your recipe by about 1/4 cup to compensate for the added water from the 'egg."

3. Egg Free Living - This is a website Mandi's mom shared.

4. Egg-free brownies - I tried this recipe yesterday. It worked a lot better than my previous attempt at adding a little applesauce to a brownie mix. However, I would recommend using a little less flour and topping them with frosting. They weren't as sweet as we are used to.

Hopefully as I experiment I will have more yummy recipes to share in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yay, You Made a Comment!