Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Tutorial: How to Make a Corsage

A few years ago my parents celebrated their 50th anniversary. We really wanted to give them a corsage & boutonniere to wear but forgot to order them in time. So, I was lucky enough to get assigned to make them. My mom loved it and was so surprised when I told her I made it. Now every year I make one for her to wear on Mother's Day.


The first time I made a corsage, I had no idea what I was doing. I called my florist friend, looked some things up on the internet and figured it out. It took several hours. I think it would have gone faster if I could find a good tutorial so I made one for you. Hopefully, it will help if you decide to give it a try.


1. Gather your supplies: flowers, floral wire, floral tape, wire cutters, heavy-duty scissors (kitchen shears), ribbon, and a pin. I got my wire, tape & cutters from the dollar store.
2. Cut your flower stems short (mine are about 3 inches). I suggest you let them soak in water after they are cut for a little while so they stay fresh longer.
3. Wrap the stems in floral wire. If your stem is delicate (like my daisy) you may just have to place the wire next to the stem instead of wrapping.
4. Wrap the stems in floral tape. Stretch the tape as you go.
5. Make little flower clusters. I made one with more greenery and smaller flowers/buds for the top. For the middle I used less greens and medium-sized flowers. For the bottom I used my rose cluster.
6. Combine your clusters and wrap them with floral tape. Add a ribbon and pin.

FOR FRESHNESS: Spray flowers with a water bottle. Place your corsage in a plastic container from a florist or a loose-fitting zip-lock bag. Put a damp paper towel in the bottom. Store the corsage in your refrigerator's crisper.


This is the one I made for my mother-in-law. I just checked to see if there were any new corsage tutorials since I last checked. I really like this one. She wrapped her stems in ribbon. It turned out very pretty. Hope this helps! Let me know if there are any questions.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Maria, I love them. I made some in a class I took in high school once, but I don't think they turned out nearly as well. I might have to try this again sometime.

    ReplyDelete

Yay, You Made a Comment!